Superintendent, Wonderful College Prep Academy
Company: The Wonderful Company LLC
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Wonderful College Prep Academy is committed to providing a
world-class education for all students. The Academy's mission is to
graduate students prepared to earn a college degree and to put them
on a promising career path for life. We believe this begins with a
nurturing, engaging, community-centered school environment where
students develop a strong academic foundation in literacy and math.
Ultimately, this will prepare generations of leaders in the Central
Valley who are critical thinkers and life-long learners.
The Academy's first school opened in 2009, serving students of
Delano and surrounding communities in grades 6-12. In Fall 2017, we
added an elementary school to our Delano campus and launched a
brand-new charter school in Lost Hills. In Delano, we serve
approximately 1800 students in grades K-12. In Lost Hills, we serve
approximately 350 students in grades K-8 and will grow to serve
students through 12th grade over the next four years.
The Academy amplifies its impact in the communities of Delano and
Lost Hills through its unique partnership with The Wonderful
Company and its co-owners, Lynda and Stewart Resnick. Free-tuition
TWC sponsored preschool programs to share space on both Academy
campuses, providing high-quality early childhood education for
approximately 120 children.
The Academy is deeply committed to positively impacting the health
and wellness of our students through our school-based wellness
centers providing medical and mental health services. Our
industry-leading food and nutrition program operates full scratch
kitchens, producing nutritious and creative meals daily for our
students and staff alike. Students and staff take advantage of our
learning gardens that provide vegetables, herbs, and fruits -- all
reflective of the agricultural bounty of the Central Valley. We are
launching new, state of the art Family Resource Centers, providing
comprehensive and engaging supports for the families of our
students and residents of Lost Hills.
High-tech classrooms and hands-on learning help our students
prepare for college and ultimately pursue promising careers.
Through a unique partnership with Bakersfield College, our students
can earn a free two-year college degree while in high school. All
Academy graduates can earn a four-year renewable college
scholarship through the generous support of Lynda and Steward
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Superintendent will have
oversight of a $35 million operating budget and directly manage a
team of just over 250 staff. This is a unique opportunity to lead
the Academy through the next phase of changing the paradigm of
poverty in the Central Valley. And, because of the partnership with
The Wonderful Company, your focus can be entirely on preparing
students in the Central Valley for the best universities and not on
the constant fundraising demands so common for other school
Here's what you'll do:
Strategic Executive Leadership
- Oversee the day-to-day management, operations, and compliance
for WCPA Delano and Lost Hills that collectively serve over 2200
children in Kindergarten through Grade 12.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors and the senior
leadership team, determine strategic priorities and effectively
communicate to stakeholders.
- Provide strategic direction for programmatic and operational
work by setting annual and monthly goals and providing support to
staff to ensure targets are met.
- Maintain consistent enrollment targets to ensure revenue and
outcomes metrics are met.
- Implement protocols to effectively manage current and future
federal and state grants and ensure they are secured, allocated,
budgeted, tracked, and in compliance.
- Lead the development of the Academy's long-term financial
strategy, including strengthening of the balance sheet and setting
other appropriate financial targets to ensure strong financial
health and financial sustainability for the Academy.
Team Leadership and Management
- Manage, mentor, train, and develop staff, directly supervising
the senior leadership team and indirectly supervising a team of
approximately 250 academic and operational staff.
- Model behaviors that inspire strong performance and instill a
sense of excellence in all staff.
- Own the assessment of staff and program operations, exercising
sound judgment and leveraging data to swiftly make decisions
related to student, school, and organizational
- Serve as the external face of Wonderful College Prep Academy
reflecting positively on the organization and advocating for its
continued operation in California's Central Valley.
Academic and Organizational Excellence
- Ensure academic excellence throughout the organization,
ensuring students are prepared to get to and through four-year
- Recruit highly qualified principals, educators, and operations
staff; effectively support and develop staff; address performance
as necessary on a timely basis
- Represent Wonderful College Prep Academy externally,
championing college readiness and a college-going culture for all
youth in the Central Valley.
- Cultivate relationships with local districts, city officials,
colleges and community leaders to further Academy goals.
- Establish and manage a network of external partners to support
our mission and vision.
Government Affairs and Legal
- Act as primary liaison to the WCPA Board of Directors
- Manage relationship with charter authorizer, Kern County
Superintendent of Schools.
- Advocate for Academy's interests with local, state, and federal
- Oversee all legal and human resources matters impacting the
Here's what you'll bring to the table:
The ideal candidate will be an experienced administrator with a
proven record of student academic success and staff
- Minimum of ten years of work experience, at least five years in
a management position supporting cross-functional teams, including
experience in program oversight, fiscal management, facilities
management, and academic program administration, preferably within
a multi-site operation and in a field related to education or
- Graduate of a recognized college or university with a master's
degree or higher
- A valid California Administrative Services credential
- Charter school experience preferred.
- Deep and nuanced understanding of national trends, issues, and
demographics in education -- as well as the political context in
which California charter schools exist.
- Demonstrated experience in program planning, operations, and
evaluation, and the use of management information systems
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in creative
decision-making, with the ability to juggle many tasks, deadlines,
and competing priorities to develop clear solutions.
- Proven track record of success, as measured by student academic
- Bilingual Spanish speaker preferred
- Passion for working with traditionally underserved communities
in high-performance settings
- An entrepreneurial spirit capable of managing many complex
tasks with competing priorities
- Proven track record developing and delivering rigorous academic
- Sensitivity to issues that impact families in a highly diverse
yet segregated rural environment
- Strong leadership execution and follow-through, especially with
goal-setting, strategic planning, prioritization and
- Team player, able to create a strong internal team and work
well with key external partners
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and
- A self-reflective leader who is committed to continuous
Here's what we'll bring to the table:
- Free access to the Wonderful Wellness Clinics
- Free access to the Wonderful Fitness Centers
- Four-year renewable Wonderful College Scholarship for eligible
- Company paid health/vision/dental for self
- Employer contributions to CalSTRS
- Voluntary 403b
- Bonus eligibility
Quality of Life in the Central Valley:
Framed by the Sierra Nevada to the east and the Coast Ranges to the
west, California's Central Valley is one of the world's most
productive agricultural regions and the base of The Wonderful
Company's agricultural operations. This vast area enjoys a moderate
climate and offers residents a high quality of life, low cost of
living, and a host of diverse cultural and recreational activities.
From wine tasting and hiking to rafting, fishing, skiing, and
surfing -- all within a two-hour drive -- the family-friendly
Central Valley has much to offer.
Please click here to view our Privacy Notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected
Keywords: The Wonderful Company LLC, Delano , Superintendent, Wonderful College Prep Academy, Other , Delano, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!