Directing Attorney - Delano
Company: CALIFORNIA RURAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE INC
Posted on: November 14, 2021
Delano Office - Delano, CA
Juris Doctor (J.D)
Up to 25%
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA's mission is to fight for justice
and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of
our society. Through a network of regional offices and
cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to tens of
thousands of low-income people annually. Our work impacts
farmworkers, indigenous populations, individuals with disabilities,
immigrant populations, LGBTQ+ communities, women, children, and
low-income families in rural areas.
Position: Directing Attorney
Experience: 3 plus years active civil legal practice
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Delano, CA
Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Non-Union Position
Position Description: Reporting to the Regional Director of
Advocacy, the Directing Attorney is responsible for the overall
provision of legal services to the low-income client community in
the service area and the day-to-day operations of the CRLA
Watsonville office. This includes supervising, training, and
motivating local office staff to provide the highest quality legal
services in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA
Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services, and the Code of
- Maintain an active caseload which consists of State, Federal
trial, and appellate work.
- Supervise local office Staff Attorneys, Community Workers, and
Support Staff in providing legal services to low-income clients and
groups. Including advice, negotiation, litigation, and
administrative advocacy in accordance with the CRLA priorities and
case handling policies.
- Ensure that staff has accurate, timely, and complete
information about the legal issues within the local office's scope
of responsibility, including training in the basic office
- Evaluate staff on an annual basis, including identifying
training needs to be incorporated into the office's six (6) month
- Cooperate with the Regional Director or the Directors of
Litigation, Advocacy, and Training to implement CRLA's Core
- Encourage advocates to develop specialized knowledge in a
substantive area of poverty law and act as a resource for other
CRLA staff through participation in at least one CRLA task
- Conduct weekly case review meetings to ensure that legal
services provided are consistent with CRLA priorities, policies,
procedures and maximize CRLA's resources to provide the highest
quality in services.
- Ensure that legal services provided comply with LSC
regulations, IOLTA requirements, and the requirements of other CRLA
- Supervise staff in setting up local community education
opportunities relating to legal rights and preparing materials for
- Act as liaison with the local community advisory board,
including setting up meetings, sending reports to the CRLA Board of
Directors, and working with the local board to identify annual
- Collaborate and cooperate with Program Directors to advance
Program goals and develop special initiatives.
- Cooperate with the Development Department and participate in
development efforts as necessary or required.
- Coordinate with the Human Resources Department to ensure staff
is effectively hired, managed, and developed.
- Collaborate with the Human Resources Department to ensure that
all staff is recruited, hired, managed, and developed to maximize
performance and retention.
- Cooperate with the Accounting Department in enforcing fiscally
sound office procedures and ensuring a clean annual audit.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any state.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California or willing
to take the next California Bar Exam.
- Three (3) years minimum experience managing law office and
- Three (3) years minimum litigation experience
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while
maintaining attention to detail.
- Excellent demonstrated people skills and the ability to
maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
Preferred Education and Experience:
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Spanish fluency or additional language ability relevant to the
- Prior experience managing a multi-location organization.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for
this job. In addition, duties, responsibilities, and activities may
change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary DOE; Generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental,
Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan
contribution. In addition, fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous
vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by
CRLA, and if qualified - participation in the School Loan
Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we
are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to
building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage
women, persons of color, Indigenous individuals, LGBTQ+
individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from
other underrepresented groups to apply.
Keywords: CALIFORNIA RURAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE INC, Delano , Directing Attorney - Delano, Legal , Delano, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!